Salmon patties, also known as salmon croquettes or cakes, are a classic American dish that has been enjoyed for generations. These delicious patties are made with canned salmon, breadcrumbs, and various herbs and spices, and are then pan-fried until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. While there are many variations of this recipe, the old-fashioned salmon patties remain a favorite of many. Here’s how to make old-fashioned salmon patties:
- 2 cans of drained and flaked salmon, weighing 14.75 ounces each
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flaked salmon, breadcrumbs, beaten eggs, parsley, dill, chives, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. All ingredients should be thoroughly combined.
- Add the mayonnaise to the salmon mixture and stir until well combined. The mayonnaise will help hold the mixture together and add a creamy texture to the patties.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into patties that are about 2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. You should be able to make about 8-10 patties with this recipe.
- Over medium heat, warm the vegetable oil in a big skillet. The salmon patties should be carefully added to the skillet after the oil is heated. The patties should be cooked for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the outside is crispy and golden.
- Remove the salmon patties from the skillet and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the salmon patties hot with your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes and green beans. You can also serve them on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce for a delicious salmon burger.
Tips for Making the Best Old-Fashioned Salmon Patties:
- Use high-quality canned salmon. Look for canned salmon that is labeled as “wild-caught” or “Alaskan” for the best flavor and texture.
- Drain the salmon well before using it. You want to remove as much liquid as possible so that the patties hold together better.
- Use fresh herbs if possible. Fresh herbs will give the salmon patties a brighter flavor than dried herbs.
- Don’t overmix the salmon mixture. You want the patties to hold together, but you don’t want to overwork the mixture, or the patties will be tough.
- Cook the salmon patties in a hot skillet. The skillet should be hot enough that the patties sizzle when you add them to the pan. This will help them get crispy on the outside while remaining tender on the inside.
Old-fashioned salmon patty is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that’s perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a special occasion. Your whole family will love what you can make with a few simple supplies and some basic cooking skills. So, give this recipe a try and enjoy the taste of a classic American dish!